I went shopping with #1 on Saturday – nothing unusual in that, it’s a favourite passtime. But the experience was far from pleasant. It might be wise at this point if I mention that I assess and train customer service so i know what I am talking about.
I have summarised the experience as a simple 12 step guide; feast your eyes and share your thoughts…
How to lose a customer in 12 easy steps
1) Continue to talk to your friends as a queue builds up
2) Do not greet the customer as they approach your till
3) Look at the customer as if they have two heads
4) Do not listen to what the customer is saying
5) Tell your customer “you should have gone to another desk”
6) Tell your customer their order will be ready in 20 minutes
7) Ignore your customer when they come back after 20 minutes
8) Continue to talk to your friends/colleagues while customers wait (do you see a trend here??)
9) Do not apologise for the delay
10) Do not thank the customer for waiting for one hour
11) Do not say goodbye, farewell, adieu, so long…
12) And above all……be prepared to lose that customer ……forever!!!
I will keep the name of the store in question to myself (an American owned supermarket) but really!!!